The Gullies

All rping and big fancy schmancy buisness talks will officially be taken here from now on.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The ultimate debate, religion and its surroundings.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Insane-Rob
Lord Wadelsworth British Roundhead

PostSubject: The ultimate debate, religion and its surroundings.   Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:02 pm

So, I had a realisation today.

Being a christian (or atleast trying to be, but that I'll explain later) I'll either get seperated from almost everyone I know when I die and sit around knowing they're suffering for all eternity. Or, there's no afterlife, and everything is pointless.

I can quit RP anytime I want. I just dont want to
I can quit RP anytime I want. I just dont want to

Location : Waiting for a train that I don't know where it'll take me. Though it doesnt matter

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate debate, religion and its surroundings.   Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:07 pm

hmn well thats a negative way of thining about it. If you die and you have lived your life fully and good and were a good person. Sure you may go to heavan and maybe your friends won't but I have always thoguht that heavan was like a personal thing. So they will be there anyways most likely, at least if thats what you imagine eternal bliss is like. Than again thats the way I think about

And if there is no heavan or hell and theres nothing after this life than.....well you still lived a good life? nothing really negative about that. I eman it's hardly a negative sicne you aren't really around to complain about how much it sucks to not have an afterlife
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gullible.userboard.net
Nullen Void

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate debate, religion and its surroundings.   Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Cynical Atheist

Religion to me is one big fairy tale like Twilight or Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, it's nice to hear but when people follow it so blindly they become selfish and hopeful that they're gonna go to a happy well to do place instead of a place of smoke and fire for all eternity.

Then again will my body just fester and rot, and I know it's happening, just eithout a heartbeat or any bodily function and no brain function? I've never been dead. I don't wanna die.

Then there's the other thing. SINS!

Seriously, if lust is offensive to GOD then the human race was damned since ya hit puberty! We kill eachother over religion, we've died over religion, when I feel like Religion is just a bed time story to help you sleep at night feeling better or worse about death!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insane-Rob

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate debate, religion and its surroundings.   Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:11 pm

But there are so many things I've done/not done based solely on my belief that one day I'll supposedly be rewarded for doing the "right" thing. Thing's that I've later regretted and that could have drastically improved my life. If there's no afterlife, then I have wasted too many of these opportunity to count.

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate debate, religion and its surroundings.   Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:54 pm

First of all, I believe in God, firmly. Now that's out of the way I'm very open-minded about everything else, if it contains reason. Yes I know, "BUT RELIGION IS NOT REASON", but what I mean by reason is what makes sense. Say the evolution theory, why should religion die over this? Why can't someone simply adapt it? God could have just as easily influenced evolution as anything else he does. Anyways, I digress, what I really wanted to address in my post was null's mention of sins.

NOTE: THIS IS JUST MY OPINION OK

Now does anyone truly realize why God created the commandments? Why sins are viewed as bad? Besides the fact people over-exaggerate somethings, it is because there are simply that God wants us to take better paths . God himself doesn't punish us, we cause ourselves harm by committing sins, not in the way of eternal damnation or satan or god's wrath or whatever, just that there were better paths to take. These better choices could range from helping others to finding a long lost item to even making a new friend. Things that we would have never expected or completely forgot could happen.

Another thing is (to argue against the view that God will punish you when you anger him) is that the sins you commit, are they really so vile that an ultra-powerful and all-encompassing being will be ticked off? I mean, God has been around for literally, actually I don't know how long exactly, but one could say since the dawn of man, so is the sin you have made really anything new or more vile than any past sin? Considering the billions of people who on a regular basis sin or the long recorded history of the more detestable ones, and considering that not only is God an ultra powerful and all encompassing being, but a compassionate one, what makes your sin so reviled that he would want to harm you?

Now don't think that what you do is insignificant, because God wants to help you. This great being picked us, out of all the billions upon billions of other planets and stars, perhaps because he saw immense potential. I mean, why else would God stick around when he could probably very easily just go somewhere else and start anew? God wants to try help you pick better paths in order to live a better life. Yes there are some circumstances where life might seem truly terrible, but if you try to overcome that, things will turn for the better.

“Things turn out best for people who make the best out of the way things turn out”

There, I'm done, I'm not here to convert nor am I here to make an argument, I'm just stating what I have realized over the course of my short life. I'd also like to apologize if I sounded a little too idealistic or positive, but these are my thoughts, take them or leave them...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stark

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate debate, religion and its surroundings.   Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:10 pm

HERE COMES LIZ

Cynical Atheism Ftw~

I don't know why the idea of nothing after life bothers people so damn much.

If you lived a good life and did everything you could for everyone you could, you can die satisfied. There's no need for anything afterwards.

Do good deeds because you want to, not because you want to end up in some form of eternal awesomeness.

And if there IS a form of heaven, then you all can laugh at me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fawkyeahbirkin.deviantart.com
Albert_Wesker
God-Like
God-Like

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate debate, religion and its surroundings.   Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:46 pm

Liz, the question of why ending existence bothers people is the same reason there is a continue button on the Game over screen.

Being the optimist I obviously am I vouch for the JUST IN CASE option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KawaiiDesuChan
Frumpy Bitch
Frumpy Bitch

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate debate, religion and its surroundings.   Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:08 pm

I want to do good things because I want to do them, not because of the threat of divine retribution. As to what I believe precisely I don't think I have enough life experience to properly make a decision.

arguin bout my lil ponies i luv dfos so much ~keisha
dont lie they were all fat ugly chicks, u were @ an anime convention ~Gir
i think i can honestly say fuck this. it sounds like it's going to take the coordination and expertise of a swat team or an anti terrorist group. ~Eilana

Dfosource is a game? The hell am I asking, of course it is. ~Nayru

Captain~Promiscuity: WHAT IS THIS A SHIT TASTIC CROSS OVER OF NOW?
SeihouDegen: CURE 2 IN TOUHOU I'M SORRY WHAT IN THE BYAKUREN FUCK
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate debate, religion and its surroundings.   

Back to top Go down

The ultimate debate, religion and its surroundings.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1